Join Robyn and Bethany as they talk through Hebrews 2
Robyn serves on the GROW committee and belongs to Coorparoo Presbyterian Church. She writes a lot and delights in being serious and silly with her husband Andrew (Queensland Theological College) and her two girls. She loves that because of Jesus we can draw near to God ‘with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience’ (Hebrews 10:22).
Bethany belongs to Manly-Lota Presbyterian Church where she is involved in kids and youth ministry while she studies at the Queensland Theological College. Originally from Townsville, she loves escaping the city for fires, camping and beaches with her husband Josh and with friends and family. She loves speaking about the hope we have in the Lord Jesus with people, especially with younger girls and thinking through how this hope impacts and shapes our lives now.
Suggestions for Digging Deeper
Read Leviticus Chapters 16-17
- What do you notice about the impact of sin on the relationship between God and his people?
- What is the role of the high priest? How does he serve God’s people?
Read Hebrews Chapters 7-10
- In chapters 7-9, how is the high priestly ministry of Jesus superior to that of the Old Testament high priests?
- In chapter 10, how is the sacrifice of Jesus offered on the cross better than the Old Testament sacrifices?
- In your own words, what does it mean that Jesus is your high priest? What does his sacrifice mean for you? In what situations in your daily life do you most need to remember Jesus’ priesthood and sacrifice for you?
In Hebrews 1 and 2, we see that Jesus is both truly God and truly man. What difference does it make if you focus on only one of these truths and neglect the other? In other words, what happens if you only focus on Jesus as man and forget that he is God and vice versa?
Some Helpful Resources on Hebrews
The Majestic Son: Reading Hebrews Today by Peter Adam
The Message of Hebrews (Bible Speaks Today) by Raymond Brown
Hoping for Something Better: Refusing to Settle for Life as Usual (10 Studies on Hebrews) By Nancy Guthrie with Joni Eareckson Tada
From Shadows to Reality (10 Bible Studies on Hebrews) by Joshua Ng
God’s Glory Alone: The Majestic Heart of Christian Life and Faith by David VanDrunen
- A short but rich book on the theme of God’s glory expressed in Jesus
- Available at Reformers Bookshop or on Kindle
The Epistle to the Hebrews by F. F. Bruce
- Best borrowed from a library or friend but also available on Kindle
A Commentary on the Epistle to the Hebrews by Philip Edgcumbe Hughes
- an older but wonderful book that is best borrowed
- Available at The Book Depository
The Perfect Saviour: Key Themes in Hebrews by Jonathan Griffiths
- available at Koorong
Hebrews: An Anchor for the Soul (Vols 1&2) by Kent Hughes
Some Useful Application Questions for Hebrews
How does this passage in God’s Word lead you to praise and thank him?
How does all God has done in and through Jesus change you?
- How does it comfort you?
- How does it warn you about your sin?
- How does the passage change what you think, love, want and grieve?
- How does this passage change what you do each day?
How does this passage shape and encourage your thinking about your church?
What is something from this passage you can share with someone else?
What does the passage say to someone who has never trusted Jesus before?
Is there a verse or section you’d like to memorise?